ILEHA Special Board Meeting Minutes

July 9, 2021


A special Board meeting was held to discuss and complete decisions concerning the proposed Sequoia Island.

Joe Pavona called the meeting to order at 6:32 pm.  Those in attendance were Jill Garnett, Katie McPherson, Sean Looman, Cindy Carson, Joe Pavona, and Carol Chapman.  The meeting was held via conference call.

Joe P and Sean updated the group on the status of the island and the latest proposal from the Township.  Meridian Township Deputy Township Manager and Director of Public Works Derek Perry has confirmed that Indian Lakes Estates Homeowners’ Association–should it choose to have an island–does have a choice to either accept the island constructed with curbs and gutters or in lieu of curbs and gutter could have landscaping.  Mr. Perry also re-affirmed the Township’s acceptance of the version 2 design he presented to us in late June.

After much discussion, it was moved by Sean and seconded by Katie to accept curbs and gutters over landscaping.  The motion was unanimously approved.  The Board believed that it was in the neighborhood’s long term best interest to select this option both from an appearance standpoint as well as from a maintenance perspective.  The Board also agreed to at least have mulch (or other ground cover) installed after the island is constructed, and potentially do more landscaping should this year’s budget allow for it.  If not, next year’s project money will be directed to completing the landscaping.  The Board was particularly sensitive to accomplishing the landscaping and on-going island maintenance within existing revenue and budget limits and believes it is consistent with the directive from the membership to use available funds–when dues were increased from $100 to $125 in October 2018–to be able to cover inflation and have some annual funding to do improvement projects.  Additionally, the Board re-affirmed its decision to accept the Version 2 design of the island from the Township given there were no objections or concerns raised by the membership from our last correspondence.

Finally, the Board approved moving the tentative date of the Annual Meeting from September 16th to September 14, 2021 and will book that date with the Okemos Community Church.

The meeting adjourned at 7:10 pm.